Followers

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Inn of Camellia


 Today I visited "Camellia Honjin" in Ibaraki city, which is temporarly open to the public. This traditional Japanese house used to be used as an official inn for feudal lords called "Honjin
本陣" in Edo period.
When the Tokugawa military government united the country in the beginning of the 17th century, it ordered feudal lords to move periodically between Edo (present-day Tokyo) and his clan, typically spending alternate years in each place. His wife and children were required to live in Edo as hostages. The expenditures necessary to maintain lavish residences in both places, and for the procession to and from Edo, placed financial strains on the feudal lords making them unable to wage war. The frequent travel of the feudal lords encouraged road building and the construction of inns and facilities along the routes, generating economic activity.

procession




400 years ago, feudal lords entered this gate in the lavish palanquin. "Camellia Honjin" was named after the notable Camellia tree standing just by the front gate. It is said to bloom five different kinds of flowers. I'm not sure five kinds.  Beautiful multi-petaled camellias.


Furthermore, in front of the entrance this weeping pink ume apricot is proud of its beauty.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, the camellias are beautiful flowers, they look like glass or porcelain ... the colors are so delicate, they look very fragile ...

    your information about your country, the story interested me very much, it is quite different from European culture, sometimes not even understand us by Europeans, but it's good to read about it, because I know I can I view times never so please continue to write so, then you can learn a lot ... thank you and warmest greetings from Geli

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place! I love all the pink blossoms. I can almost smell them from here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and such an interesting history lesson. Thank you, beagleAnnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Camellia! There are so many different kinds and colors -the previous owner had a camellia standing outside our (previous) bedroom door - that's when I got interested.
    From your next to last pic I can see that the branches have been trained (like with bonsai) - beautiful!

    Also, thank you for visiting my new art blog (Artnotes from Jesh) - you are a true teacher -immediately following up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, Annie. Thank you also for the interesting historical information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried to grow Camillas from seeds and from cuttings without success. I think they are so beautiful. Maybe one of these days I will have my Camilla. ;)

    ReplyDelete